Following attacks on people on a Miami train, local authorities announced that they will increase the number of security guards to provide greater protection to passengers in that transportation system.
Driven by a big gender gap, Iowa is tied with six weeks until Election Day. 47% of likely voters support Trump & 47% say they support Biden. Another 4% would vote for someone else and 3% are unsure. In 2016, Trump beat Clinton by almost 9.5%. https://t.co/Epe8WWkD3P
— Robert Gibbs (@Robt_Gibbs) September 22, 2020
Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Giménez said late Monday night that in response to recent savage attacks on “our Metromover, the county will increase the number of security guards to protect passengers, and the Miami-Dade Police Department (MDPD) will closely follow the situation.”
Giménez made the announcement after the brutal assault was reported to Eduardo Miguel Fernández, 73, at metrorail/Metromover in the early hours of last Sunday as he headed to visit his son in downtown Miami, where he also works.
Fernandez is hospitalized at the Jackson Memorial, where he must stay for at least two weeks due to the severity of his injuries: he has fractures in his face, skull and bruises caused by the beating of a man who is wanted by the police.
Three more savage attacks have occurred on the Metrorail/Metromover so far in September.
Giménez said the MDPD and Miami City Police are working in a coordinated manner to share security camera images in real time, so they can intervene quickly in the event of “future crimes.”
He warned that they will not tolerate violence anywhere, especially in the transport system.
Miami-Dade police reported Monday that uniformed officers responded to a provoked attack on a senior on the Metrorail/Metromover.
The victim, which the police did not identify but the family did, was sitting on the train when she was approached by an unknown man who began beating her and kicking her repeatedly.
The alleged assailant was described by police as an African-American man, aged 45 to 55, about 6 feet tall and 180 pounds tall, dressed in a black shirt, khaki pants, brown shoes, blue mask and wearing a camouflage cloth cap with a skull.
Miami-Dade police director Alfredo Ramirez III said “brutal attacks on the Metrorail/Metromover system, although unrelated, are deeply troubling.”
Ramirez asked people to review the prospectus issued about the suspect and call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS if they have any information on the case.
He also spoke to the head of the Miami Police Department, Jorge Colina, and said that
“we are both committed to working together, not only to capture the subject of this cruel crime, but to help keep people who use that type of transport safe.”
Colina reported that its Police Department will deploy additional resources throughout the Metrorail/Metromover system “within our jurisdiction, both uniformed and undercover to increase the safety of our residents and the transportation system”.
The Miami-Dade County Department of Transportation said in a statement that they are “dismayed by recent incidents and our hearts are with the victims.”
This is the fourth case that occurs this month in that transport system. A woman of Colombian origin was brutally attacked in a car by a man she did not know and who kicked her twenty times for no apparent reason, in addition to beating her.
Andrea Puerta, 29, suffered the attack on September 4 in a car where only she and the man were traveling, according to video from a security camera.
Joshua James King, 25, who was charged with three offenses for aggravated assault and assault, was arrested for that case and then released after bail. He has to appear before a judge on September 25 and was assigned a public defender, according to court records related to the case.
Two other men, both of Hispanic origin, Eduardo Treviño and Nelti Medran, also suffered savage attacks in that same transport system allegedly by King, according to information of a police report.
Miami-Dade Police confirmed that on September 4th all three people were attacked.
According to police information, King was ordered to stay away from Puerta, Treviño and Medran.
Fernandez’s son Christian Fernandez told that the person who attacked his father is totally different from King. “It doesn’t look like the same person”, he said.