Checkups will focus on buses coming from all 33 states and territories on New York’s ‘travel warning’ list. Port Authority Bus Terminal authorities will begin an inspection of all travelers using the service, as a way to address the pandemic that has affected the health of millions of people worldwide.
Coronavirus contagion continues to increase in at least 33 states and territories across the country, and so for several weeks, New York City authorities have been conducting inspections of travelers from some of those areas included in a ‘travel warning’ list. And as of this Tuesday, those revisions, which until now were carried out only at airports and bridges and tunnels to enter the Big Apple, will also extend to buses arriving at Port Authority Bus Terminal on 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue in Manhattan.
This was announced on Tuesday by Mayor Bill de Blasio, ensuring that after the end of the summer holidays and when more people are expected to return to the city including the places that make up that ‘blacklist’, now more than ever the city must strengthen its control measures to continue keeping COVID-19 contagions low. “From now on, the City Sheriff’s Office will have a new approach and will also stop buses arriving at Port Authority Bus Terminal, to inspect passengers who will receive some forms and must comply with quarantine.”
The Mayor warned: “Autumn comes with more activities expected to be going on, and that represents a challenge for the city to keep the coronavirus under control here.” And by adding that a lot of this equation is the journeys that are taking place from all those parts, De Blasio said that we must “be intelligent about the control and restrictions of these people who are traveling, and that is the key to fighting the coronavirus.”
“Listen to me, if you are one of the people who have traveled to those 33 places, or a family member or co-worker, you must quarantine for 14 days because it is the law,” the Mayor stressed.
Puerto Rico leaves the ‘blacklist’
And just this Tuesday Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that four more states entered the ‘blacklist’ of ‘travel warning’, and whose travelers will have to quarantine once they arrive in New York State. The new members are Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, and West Virginia
“People coming from other states are still a problem, and today we’re adding four more states to New York’s travel notice. We now have 35 high-risk states in this country, which is unbelievable,” the Governor said.
At the same time, Cuomo reported that Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands had been removed from the list, as levels of contagion in both U.S. territories were declining.
Quarantine applies to anyone arriving from a state with a positive test rate of more than 10 per 100,000 residents for an average of 7 days in a row, or a state with 10% or more of positive cases and whose percentage is maintained at that level for more than a week.
Full list of states: